Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Within the Lotus, there is the Jewel
Within each of Us, there is Goodness




When I gave up working life more than a year ago, little did I expect that I will embark on a journey which opened up my eyes and heart to a whole new world, a world of the underprivileged and less fortunate, often heard of and read about, but have never really venture into due to ignorance, limitations and even objections.

However, with the free time I have on hand, I did some deep soul-searching and realise that there is more to life than this. It dawned heavily on me that all this years I have been taking so many things in life for granted, exhausting the blessings, never taking the step to reach out to those less fortunate. Charity to me at that time was confined to giving donations whenever the occasion calls for it. Even though I have been regularly contributing money to charity organisations but regrettably did not involve myself in other ways. There have been times I wanted to visit Charity Homes or help out in Charity events, but this were always met with discouragement from family and friends alike.

I'm glad to say that all is not lost as I finally found the path I want to pursue in life. With dear husband's support, we took our first step and joined in a charity visit to a Handicapped Centre in Klang. That visit left a deep impression on us and became the turning point in our lives.

Subsequently, there were more visits to such homes and other charity outings, which gave us further insight into the meaning of poverty, hardship and suffering. Along the way, we made new friends, people with the same passion, who inspired us greatly with their noble works and taught us the true meaning of Charity. Charity is an act of giving that comes from the heart, one that is selfless and without expectation of any return. We learned to value the simple things in life, to appreciate the things we are blessed with, and to share our blessings with others. Charity not only makes a difference in lives of those in need, but also changes and enriches the lives of those who gives.

We hope that in our own small way we can make a difference in the lives of the people we help. With our limitation, we may not be able to do great things but we do it with a big heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment